Jul 22, 2010

So I'll Continue to Continue to Pretend...




hat, thrifted.  boots, Nine West.  dress, The Culture Shop.  black halter bodysuit, AA.  turquoise pendant, sister's.  dog-tags, boyfriend's. turquoise cross ring, Forever21.

Photography by Angie Candell

Flowers Never Bend with the Rainfall appropriately playing in the background as I sit in my empty but cooly conditioned house on this day of my birth.  I turn 23 today, and I would surely sound like a whiny hipster if I lamented over how old I now am, so despite how old 23 sounds to me, I'll spare you the self deprecating blather.  It's hard though, keeping age in perspective.  How exactly does one stay young and grow up at the same time?  People have been telling me to not grow up too fast all my life, advice I've always thought to be a bit silly, especially at the ripe age of 9 and stuff.  Antithetical to that of my parents who've said things like, "grow up Kate, balance your checkbook Kate, think about your student loans Kate, find a job with benefits Kate, quit spending money on frivolity Kate."  My mom even ventured into conversational terrain involving the "M" word the other day while we were having lunch.  Marriage? For real?  I don't even feel comfortable taking on the responsibilities of a credit card let alone whatever is involved with marriage.  My room is rarely in order, I'm always behind on laundry, I'm a horrible indoor plant caretaker, and I lose my house keys daily.  Yes, marriage is a very distant and foreign territory for my too young 23 year old self, sorry mom.

I will say, in regards to staying young, the ability to dive into my inordinately full closet to reemerge with a piece I used to rock in my high school days is always good for a youthful flashback.  I got to reposition myself as a 17 year old with this particular dress.  In my, eh hem...old age, I can't remember exactly where it came from, but an educated guess tells me it's from The Culture Shop, a hippie dippie mainstay on East Carson St, my proverbial depot for concert going wares and the like.  I discovered this sartorial bohemia in high school, back when we hung out at the Hkan on Fridays and smoked pistachio, watermelon, honeydew, and cappuccino hashish.  We weren't quite as bad as the speedy kids seen nowadays at the Millsite Tavern on open "DJ" night, but bad enough to smoke hookahs and talk about John Coltrane and Mahavishnu Orchestra, reference Darren Aronofsky films and novels by Milan Kundera.  Talk about growing up too fast, I suppose that's what artsy nerdom will do to a teenager..."so I'll continue to continue to pretend...my life will never end..."



5 comments:

dust said...

happy!

柯凡沈俊銘豐 said...

好久沒有這樣輕鬆享受閱讀的樂趣了~~留個言邀您分享我的快樂~~..................................................................

dust said...

Actually, I didn't expect to be able to comment previously, so I kept it short...
Now, dear friend, it's our honor to watch you become the adult(of your choice), keep on pretending!

Love, team dusturbance!

TASHA B said...

SO BEAUTIFUL!!! THAT HAT LOOKS AMAZING ON YOU!!!!

Kitschmoog said...

perfect style , very cute combination, awesome hat , dress and boots !

wibiya

Web Analytics