Jun 5, 2010

Every man's memory is his private literature...



halter/t-shirt, DIYed from Big Bro's T's.  cargo khakis, Old Navy circa 2000?  combat boots, Forever 21.  turquoise macrame necklace, W'Erin Art X Erin Magoc


Photography by Ben Filio






The bizarrely ardent connection of scent and memory far surpasses the reminiscence power of a photograph to me.  When my older brother and his finance departed from Oakmont, PA on a cross country, one-way trek to Long Beach, CA – he left behind a closet and dresser full of discarded t-shirts and anti-Cali climate sweaters.  Space saving move for them, total DIY playtime for me; I grabbed up garbage bags full of ‘90’s style boy sweaters, miscellaneous t-shirts of a Grateful Dead or beach-y ilk, and countless men’s button downs all reaching dress lengths on me.  I originally claimed I’d give them away to my guy friends of a similar size and shape, yet here they remain hanging from a curtain rod like a little museum of my older brother’s middle school fashion sense, and sitting in torn open garbage bags in the corner of my bedroom like a treasure chest of memories. 

Each time I dig through the mess of oversized play clothes the scent of my brother hits me and I remember the days when I used to steal his soccer t-shirts to wear to school, anything with a sporty number on the back was cool to me apparently.  His left behind AE plaids circa 1997, drug-rug ponchos, and young-buck sweater vests represent the passage from laid back avid concert go-er to the now Docker and polo rocking, clean shaven Californian, soon to be wed and soon to be pro in something other than linecook-ism and chilling.  

Until I can make my own way cross country for some big bro hang time, I'll keep him around via his ever present beach inspired T's.  His fashion sense always did point him toward the West coast shore.





35 comments:

FashionJazz said...

stunnning pics!! Have a lovely wknd xxx

THE DIVINITUS said...

cool.
cool scenery.

Raez said...

amazing photos! i really like how dynamic they are.

xx raez

Lexi Colby said...

love these photos! great photography! xx

Couture Carrie said...

Gorgeous pics!
Love those "vintage" cargos!

xoxox,
CC

Cindy Whitehead said...

Love these pictures - the walls are amazing as a backdrop too! Thanks for your nice comment - I love Troy too - he is the nicest guy! When you come to CA let me know (-:

730A_ngelinaRabideau0 said...

逛到您的部落格讓我忍不住停下來!期待您的新文章!!........................................

Cafe Fashionista said...

Your shoes are so incredibly fierce! :)

Jen said...

these pictures are amazing! you look gorgeous and i'm loving those shoes on you. :)

Cynthia said...

i like your shirt!!! :)

annieo said...

The shoes youre wearing in this post are to die forrr! Same goes for your tattoo. I like your blog, I like it a lot hahahaha

English Rose ♥ said...

Gorgeous post!

Merci beaucoup for stopping by darling, it means so much that you like the blog and I hope you become a regular visitor =]

I love your blog too, would you like to exchange links?



Stay safe and chic ma chérie,
English Rose x
http://iamanenglishrose.blogspot.com

Isquisofrenia said...

i really enjoy your outfits and blog
you have such a cool style!

Kim Neill said...

Seriously awesome pictures!
Great blog I just came across it! I am your latest follower :-D
Keep in touch!
KimboxKimbox
xxxxxx

Wendy said...

The combat boots are a KILLER.
And the graffiti backdrops are AMAZING.
Salute!


<3

Niki B. said...

cool pics! love the graffiti

xo Niki

http://www.ahautemess.ca/

michelle_ said...

who takes your photos love ?
i've been scrolling through ur old posts and they all look amazinnggg !!

www.glistersandblisters.com

俊翔 said...

任何事都是由一個決心,一顆種子開始。........................................

Behind The Seams said...

beautiful photography on your blog!

Faridah said...

Amazing photos! I LOVE those boots.

daisymay said...

Love these photos, the setting is great. I am a huge fan of urban photography and love
http://daisymay-dayz.blogspot.com

dust said...

Finally, I know what to say: give us a SMILE!

mel said...

wow so obsessed with these! i love your shoes! and your gorgeous the setting is awesome
xx

E said...

I friggin' love those boots!!

la petite fashionista said...

I feel like you can't even buy tees like that anymore, such a cool keepsake from your big bro. LOVE your blog. the photography is gorgeous (your tattoo is like its own accessory!) & i love the stories behind each outfit :) will be adding you to my links

asda said...

成熟,就是有能力適應生活中的模糊。..................................................

bravegrrl said...

these photos are so awesome. i especially love the 2nd and 3rd :)

xo

ellesappelle said...

AWESOME SETTING!

FASHIONconfectionairy said...

I love the back ground, and the boots, are tres tres beautiful!
Libby
http://fashionconfectionairy.weebly.com

Elaine said...

That is an amazing DIY! And these pictures came out wonderfully!

clothed much, a modest fashion blog

Haute World said...

Love the contrast of the graffiti background with the greenery. I'm the same when it comes to scent... it triggers more memories for me than anything visible or audible. Great job with the DIY shirt! If I hadn't known otherwise, I would have thought it's store bought.

Nina (Femme Rationale) said...

love the photos. what an awesome location, too!

雲亨 said...

Never put off till tomorrow what may be done today...................................................................

Walk The Sand said...

Awesome setting. And great boots.
x

Ash Fox said...

love this. amazing look and location!

x

wibiya

Web Analytics