Dec 23, 2009

My New Year's Resolution.

I've decided to commit myself to writing.  Finally.  I mean, I've been saying that I want to be a writer since I was in third grade and my teacher gushed over a silly prompt that I wrote.  I distinctly remember the immense amount of pride that I garnered from the tiny first attempt at creative non-fiction.  From that moment, as I moved up through the grades I became captivated by different kinds of writing, fiction, non-fiction, political, religious, theory, journalistic, postmodern, non-English, music, FASHION.  But always fearful of rejection, success, whatever, I never really made myself write.  I liked the way it sounded, "to write."  And felt, tippy tappy keys on a keyboard, click of a pen, the physicality of it.  The habits too I kind of romanticized in my head, like carrying a tiny notebook around with me at all times, filling it with thoughts and quotes, highlights from conversations, scribbling away as I might sit at the bus stop or bored in class.
The very idea of writing was always a somewhat distant one for me.  I felt that I could never consider myself a writer because all I've ever written are papers for school and maybe a handful of published articles in publications that go unnoticed and are more likely to be used to pick up dog poo on the sidewalk than be read.  But as my New Year's Resolution, I am going to start calling myself a writer, I hear that it has a costuming affect.  Calling myself a writer is kind of like putting on a business suit and being able to more confidently walk into a board room meeting.  If I call myself a writer then I'll magically be a writer.  Naw, I'm just kidding, along with calling myself a writer, I am going to write for at least an hour every morning, and read more contemporary lit.  School sucks literally, it sucks the life out of me and makes me not want to write which is why its a hard habit to start.  But like going to the gym, it feels good mid workout. So, from now on, I'll write, cause I'm a writer.
In honor of my New Year's Resolution, I'm going to share with you some writing inspiration from one of my all time faves, JACK KEROUAC. (Sorry for the lack of fashion).

BELIEF & TECHNIQUE FOR MODERN PROSE
List of Essentials

  1. Scribbled secret notebooks, and wild typewritten pages, for yr own joy
  2. Submissive to everything, open, listening
  3. Try never get drunk outside yr own house
  4. Be in love with yr life
  5. Something that you feel will find its own form
  6. Be crazy dumbsaint of the mind
  7. Blow as deep as you want to blow
  8. Write what you want bottomless from bottom of the mind
  9. The unspeakable visions of the individual
  10. No time for poetry but exactly what is
  11. Visionary tics shivering in the chest
  12. In tranced fixation dreaming upon object before you
  13. Remove literary, grammatical and syntactical inhibition
  14. Like Proust be an old teahead of time
  15. Telling the true story of the world in interior monolog
  16. The jewel center of interest is the eye within the eye
  17. Write in recollection and amazement of yourself
  18. Work from pithy middle eye out, swimming language sea
  19. Accept loss forever
  20. Believe in the holy contour of life
  21. Struggle to sketch the flow that already exists intact in mind 
  22. Don't think of words when you stop but to see picture better
  23. Keep track of every day the date emblazoned in yr morning
  24. No fear or shame in the dignity of yr experience, language & knowledge
  25. Write for the world to read and see yr exact pictures of it 
  26. Bookmovie is the movie in words, the visual American form
  27. In praise of Character in the Bleak inhuman Loneliness
  28. Composing wild, undisciplined, pure, coming in from under, crazier the better
  29. You're a Genius of all time
  30. Writer-Director of Earthly movies Sponsored & Angeled in Heaven

source Google Images

4 comments:

Fashion Wh0re said...

Good For You...i Want to Be a Writer too Someday maybe even an editor for a magazine or something but i know i have a long way to go..Love The Inspiration list

Out Of Order Design said...

awesome post, keep going! Thanks for the cool Kerouac tips ;]

I totally relate to a lot of what you're saying; it's hard to "be" a writer if you only write papers or in your journal. But it's allll practice.
They say that being a writer means feeling you're going crazy three times a day - well, if you already feel like that you might as well write!

dust said...

I'm your reader already, that means you are a writer. All the best!

Katie Ham said...

It is nice to know hat you will continue what you want and we know you have the fashion in writing. keep up the good work and good luck. I hope in the next page of this site will be the list of articles you want to write.:)

wibiya

Web Analytics