Nov 27, 2009

"Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History."


source We Heart It

I must confess, the past couple weeks I had become a little frustrated with 'fashion blogging' thus explaining my nearly 5 day hiatus from posting.  I never wanted to abandon the blog, however this blog allowed me to rediscover a part of myself that I think I lost somewhere, that is the me that loves sooo many different things.  The me that gets bored when focusing on one subject.  I found it hard to read some of the blogs that I had normally been engaged in. 


The first blog I ever got into was Fashion Toast and I used to pour over those photos, desiring ever piece she owned, wishing my boyfriend was a professional photographer, wishing I lived in Cali.  Looking at that blog and others like it where the girls have endless amounts of shopping time, and money to spend on A. Wang pieces, modeling contracts and gifts from designers, invitations to parties where the rubbed shoulders with designers and celebrities, and end up on Cobrasnake the next morning, is well, frustrating.  Consuming all of that, forced me into a blackhole.  Its exhausting is what it is, because how can I compete with that?  I get a meager, I don't know, 20 visitors on average a day, of which maybe 1 or 2 comment.   The numbers coupled with the repetitiveness were debilitating to my aptness to find fun in fashion.


Anyway, I read an article on IFB written by the lovely and talented Jennine called Fashion Blogging: The Road Ahead, and after spending a couple hours reading not only the article but also each and every comment following it, and subsequently meandering through the commenter's blogs, I realized that I wasn't alone in feeling this way.  So many bloggers in the IFB community are trying to revolt against the drivel that fashion blogging has produced. This had me changing my mind a little about fashion blogging.  Gone are the days of posting "filler" posts of outfits or trends I just happen to like, photos that can be seen again and again in a day on a girls Bloglovin' dashboard.  This blog reminded me that I love writing, and being a writer means being inspired by the moment.  As a space for my creative voice I can't always contain it to one subject.  So if I veer away from fashion a little, it doesn't mean that I don't care about the art of dressing and analyzing the cultural implications of one's dress.  I will always be fascinated by fashion, but I'm fascinated by a lot of things.


I could probably continue this rantish post, but I'll break for now.  I would like to let those that read the Deathproof piece know, that I greatly appreciate their comments.  It felt great to read positive responses to my offbeat comparison.  I was a little nervous about submitting that one too Links a La Mode for fear that the editor would think it was content to far from fashion.  But that'll show me to quit being a baby and stop fearing rejection.  Much love readers, thanks for the support :)

6 comments:

Lissa said...

I kind of love you for posting this. I agree ten thousand percent.

Lissa said...

No problemo girl. I love how you are posting about things that matter, and you show that you actually have deep, intellectual thoughts. Yep that means you're a cool cookie :D

Elaine said...

HEAR HEAR. I'm totally with you. The only reason those blogs get more views is because we, the normal people, can't afford to live like them and spend $$$ on designer items! How about most of us don't have rich parents and have to go to school AND work. My goodness. I could go on and on too. It seems so hard for us as fasihon bloggers to be original. If we don't follow mainstream styles that Rumi or Karla is wearing, nobody really cares what you wear. And THAT is what I've learned from blogging. Fashion isn't original anymore. NOt in the blogging world at least.

The Haute-Shopper said...

I think it's easy to get caught up in other blogs and compare to them to yours, but in all honesty, I don't actually think these high-flying bloggers necessarily have it all. I would have killed to have the collection Jane (Sea of Shoes) has at her age and maybe the reason I love Susie Bubble so much is that despite her fame, she does have a penchant for vintage and indie labels. At the end of the day though, the blogs only reflect a very small percentage of the person behind the blog and it's important to blog what you care about, not what others are blogging about. Unfortunately there are still too many blogs out there that are trying too hard to be the next big thing, but when I get annoyed at certain blogs, I just stop reading them and focus on what inspires me. At the end of the day, I think it's important to take a step back and realize that a blog isn't your entire life, but only an outlet where you can express yourself. I have the feeling there are people out there who do nothing but blog.

larissa said...

hey keep it up, we got to preserve being the true frugal fashion fans. i found your blog through facebook, we met through dana at pace. it was cool to see that you're into what i've been getting into (fashion blog). i love it, think it's a lot of fun even without the audience. you seem to be on your way with the articles and such, keep it up! i enjoy reading.

方大同Khalil said...

cool!i love it!AV,無碼,a片免費看,自拍貼圖,伊莉,微風論壇,成人聊天室,成人電影,成人文學,成人貼圖區,成人網站,一葉情貼圖片區,色情漫畫,言情小說,情色論壇,臺灣情色網,色情影片,色情,成人影城,080視訊聊天室,a片,A漫,h漫,麗的色遊戲,同志色教館,AV女優,SEX,咆哮小老鼠,85cc免費影片,正妹牆,ut聊天室,豆豆聊天室,聊天室,情色小說,aio,成人,微風成人,做愛,成人貼圖,18成人,嘟嘟成人網,aio交友愛情館,情色文學,色情小說,色情網站,情色,A片下載,嘟嘟情人色網,成人影片,成人圖片,成人文章,成人小說,成人漫畫,視訊聊天室,性愛,a片,AV女優,聊天室,情色

wibiya

Web Analytics