Nov 10, 2009

Paying Homage to Pheobe Philo by Wearing My Boyfriend's Clothes.


faux leather jacket, Guess.  pants, H&M. men's shirt, United Colors of Benetton.  knee-high boots, vintage.

I would describe myself as a poor women's Pheobeophile.  I've always loved her effortless way of making androgyny chic.  While I am a huge fan, I'm not exactly in the market for high end fashion right now, thus I tend to steal my boyfriend's shirts as you see here. 


This morning when I was getting dressed, I spotted a blue button down hanging half-hazardly on my closet doorknob.  I threw it on and instantly recalled this quote from a recent article in the October issue of Vogue, "She's wearing a man's shirt with the front tucked in, the tail left out, and the sleeves frayed where she cut the cuffs off.  Her high-waisted jeans are hemmed with a new piece of darker denim [...] Her cute black padded-sleeve biker jacket is "the proper thing"" (Vicki Woods, Vogue).


I love how Pheobe can just absorb design elements and turn them into something that is perfectly evocative of her style.  To the untrained eye it might be hard to distinguish a Pheobe Philo design because each piece has a mirage of being simple, however a fashionista can tell that it is in the details and proportions that Ms. Philo's designs shine.  She designs with instincts making her more of a clairvoyant cultural anthropologist, in that she is able to predict what women want to wear now.  She's seems like the most interesting person, I would love to either pick her brain, or just follow her around all day.  So Pheobe, if you're reading this and you need an assistant, I'm your woman.

3 comments:

Eva Internazionale said...

Good idea to steal a shirt -- it's a versatile enough piece.

THE DIVINITUS said...

I was very curious about her Celine collection... looks good but I wish she was still present at Chloe...

Lauren Elizabeth said...

I love men's clothing! I think its so sexy on women. Great mash-up.

wibiya

Web Analytics